Thursday 10 May 2018

Every child deserves a champion: an adult who will never give up on them


"Every child deserves a champion, an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection, and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be." #TeacherAppreciationWeek


https://www.ted.com/talks/rita_pierson_every_kid_needs_a_champion


This is, in my opinion, a fabulous presentation from a great educator. It is a talk I have used in the past and worth listening to. I do appreciate that time may not be at a premium for you at the moment. It is teacher appreciation week so I thought it should be marked with a well seasoned educator delivering a great talk.


I was also sad to read that she has passed away, just as she had been headhunted to lead up a team on educational reform. She certainly sounded like she was exactly the person to drive education and learning forward. I recognize a lot of what she talks about in her delivery where the learner is key. There are timelines, there are different approaches to development and the road is not always a straight one.


Let me know what you think. I think it is delightfully simple, straightforward, funny and compassionate, amongst other things.


Cheers,


Mark



2 comments:

  1. Nicola MacPhee10 May 2018 at 20:00

    What an amazing and inspiring woman. I agree with everything she says, children are influenced by parents, teachers or anyone else they look up to and her approaches to some of her work is excellent. I particularly liked how she changed the outcome from -18 to a +2 with a smiley face. I know everyone will have had a bad experience in education but it can be turned around by the right people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflections and I agree with all that you say. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete