Friday 12 January 2018

Mid-session review of learning and teaching

Hello everybody,

I found this morning's class to be particularly helpful in terms of reflection on what we are doing in the Communication classes. The idea behind this week's class was to get you to reflect on what you are doing well, where you can improve, what you like and what you don't like.


You should always think critically, so I think some of you were being overly kind when it came to what you like about my classes, what you don't like about the classes etc! That said, it was nice to hear so many positive comments from you all, it certainly makes me feel good that you are enjoying learning about Communication and more importantly, how these skills will help you when you make the move up the academic ladder in the future.


I have typed your answers as you wrote them, so here they are!


In this class I have found it easiest to learn from (two activities only):


Individual work 7
Group working 4
Exemplar materials 6
Class discussions 5
Listening to lecturer 6
Other (please specify) 0


Areas in Communication where I feel I have progressed well are:


Information gathering, speaking in a group, taking time to read and contribute to the blog. I really enjoyed working on my own. After being out of school for 16 years it was a challenge that I really enjoyed. My confidence when it comes to writing when doing my assessment, passing sections nearly straight away felt amazing and made me feel like I can do this. I feel my confidence has grown a bit during class discussions. I feel I have progressed well in expressing myself and my thoughts, as before starting the course this was something I feared but now, with encouragement and the blog, I find I do have a voice. Looking at things from a different angle. In the written assessments I progressed and learnt how to input all info and evaluate. How to read text and picking out the main points, thinking about what the writers are really saying. I've progressed in talking out in class, as I'm not too scared anymore. In my close reading I have progressed as I used to never understand it when I was at school. Analytical writing. Essay writing. How to do the reading assessment. Written assessments.


Areas in Communication where I feel I have done less well are:


Voicing my opinion in class discussions. I feel my reading assessment could have gone better and my spelling is still poor. Blog discussions, need to get involved more. Not really sure as I think I have done OK do far. While I might not have progressed in all areas, I don't feel that there are any areas that I have done less well than all others. I am by no means 'perfect', but I feel I have progressed and not done less well as I have utilized all resources to allow me to progress. Talking out in class during discussions. My writing skills need to be worked on. Communicating my answers verbally is where I have progressed but not as well as I have in other areas. Understanding information. Speaking out in class. The discussion assessment on transgender.


I could improve my learning in all my subjects in the next semester by:


Taking more time to study. Trying to be more confident and believe in myself. Voicing my opinion, more preparation. Asking for clarification. Studying more and looking over my work more in depth after I've written answers down. Studying more and reading more, like the blog. Staying calm and having faith in my own ability. Putting more time into subjects (presentations and reports). Using my own time made available to me to research my subjects more to give me more insight in preparation for University. Keeping up to date with work - completing tasks as I receive them. read more, read the blog as I think this will help me with my writing and using different or more complex language.
Chairs in room 4013 break your back - chairs should be comfy. All lecturers should be approachable.


What I like most about the Communication classes:


Group work and discussions on different topics. I enjoy being able to speak openly in the class without feeling I will be judged. I like everything! Passing assessments. Preparation for essay writing. The openness of the class. It is a well balanced class where it puts me at ease and due to the blog I feel like I have lots of support. I can voice my opinion without it being an issue as we discuss things. Mark is very thorough and plans well so we know where we are. Having good discussions and having people look at things from a different point of view and understanding my point. I like the fact that we all work together on a weekly basis through a structured format, set out clearly by the lecturer. That all the assessments and discussions are relevant to SWAP Nursing. It is a relaxed environment. That I have a great lecturer. Mark is a happy and fun guy and non-judgmental. There is a set structure / timetable to the classes, laid out telling us what we will be doing and when.


What I like least about the Communication class:


Maybe the distractions from other classrooms during some of the assessments, but nothing major. Sometimes the room can be cold. Can't really think of anything I don't like. Nothing with regards to the teaching as in my opinion the teaching is excellent. Being worried about failing assessments. Nothing, I enjoy the class. I worry about presenting or speaking in front of people. N/A - I like every aspect, including the assessments! It fills me with dread every Friday morning, which is purely because I find the subject incredibly challenging. Talking in front of the class. Nothing.


Blog comments:


Interesting and helpful. I find it a great read and a good way to get people involved. It is full of interesting information. I love the blog as it is such a good tool and makes me feel more supported. I should make more time to read it as it is good. I think the blog is great and like the varied subjects covered and raised. I like that there is always a reply. I personally really enjoy the blog and enjoy the subject matter. The blog has helped me voice my opinions more. The amount of interesting articles makes it great. It is a great read a lot of the time. I like seeing all the differing opinions.


Any further comments about the Communication Unit:


Really enjoy the Communication class and Mark is a great teacher! May it continue to be fun!
Thoroughly enjoy this class and wouldn't change anything. I have thoroughly enjoyed the class. Everything Mark does makes me feel like I am being supported well. The Communication Unit is my favourite subject, good pace and structure. Group discussions are a good way to develop confidence amongst our peers and they have very much been a great part of the Unit. I really enjoy the class and love the pace, layout and organization.



6 comments:

  1. Definitely a class that I look forward to and enjoy working in and looking forward to what comes next. Every day is a school day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicola. I must admit that when you look back at what we’ve done and the strong reflective comments in this post, that everybody is doing very well. It is only natural that not everybody loves the class, but I don’t take that personally! Thanks for your comments. It makes all the hard work that goes into making the classes lively and relevant all the more sweet. It has to be two way though and a great majority of the learning is actually student led.

    See you Friday.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i hope this works! First comment on the blog for me and i have to say i am enjoying the class. I do feel your way of teaching helps me to understand what is being asked. I now know its ok to ask for clarification, albeit repeatedly. I have never struggled to understand the written word however, taking a meaning from what people are saying has proven difficult throughout my life. I feel as though this is improving and i credit that to you mark. Keep on keeping on. We will all build each other up during the rest of the course and in a few years when we have our bachelor of science in hand i will raise a glass of thanks to my communication tutor. And no im not drunk while i write this! Look forward to semester 2 and will make sure i ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cherelle, great to hear from you. Wow, high praise indeed, thank you so much for those kind words. Indeed, the value of friendship and working together, the support mechanism, cannot be underestimated. Thank you, and welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see such a happy team spirit ! Thanks to you Mark for easing us into the unknown and making it fun and interesting. Not a class I like to miss. Hopefully on that note I will be in tomorrow but my wee girl is out of sorts and running a temp , snowing out (againnnn) and I'm getting no kip here due to Lily having her injections yesterday. Thanks for being such a great lecturer and support. Helping us to learn important lessons about ourselves on the way. Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. There’s a lot to be said for collegiate learning. Hopefully you’ll make it in this am. Train from the capital is saying on time, so there shouldn’t be any probs with me getting in. It’s very sleety here which is the worst type of conditions when walking to and from the stations! Cheers.

      Delete