Friday 19 January 2018

Effective oral presentation delivery, Prezi presents etc!

Hi all,


I really enjoyed this morning's class and there were some really good comments from all four groups when we explored the component parts to consider when thinking about how to deliver a presentation that is truly effective. I liked the anecdotal input from many of you too which helped flesh out some of the main points I was making and I hope you enjoyed hearing about some of my own experiences.


When you have decided what you might like to do your talk on, just drop me an e mail so you don't waste any valuable research time. It is likely I will say aye to your suggestion but equally possible is that some of the topics might need a wee bit of refining too! 5 minutes is not a long time, believe me. I will post a few examples of student talks on another post shortly for you to look at the import of structuring.


So Prezi, no, not THAT American President, but Prezi, the innovative presentation tool!

If anybody fancies doing something a little different from PowerPoint, there's a programme called Prezi which opens up similar, yet different, possibilities for anchoring the spoken word.

I've popped a link to Prezi below for you to look at should you be interested.

The same rules apply, structure is key. Always remember that.

Link to a Prezi tutorial: https://youtu.be/2zFep1jL92g


Link to Prezi and how it works: https://prezi.com/


Remember, the visuals ANCHOR what you are saying. The programme doesn't present it for you!


See you all again on Friday 2nd February and if you have a laptop or similar, please bring it in to the prep classes.

All the best,


Mark



6 comments:

  1. Feeling a bit out of the loop having unfortunately missed a vital class due to the weather and also Lily. Not to worry I trust it shouldn't take long to get upto date and speed.

    Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, hopefully all the things I posted will help with you catching up and that by now you have the assessment brief? The slides on the factors contributing to effective and ineffective presentations will help too. I will be doing a short session on effective Powerpoint in the next class. Prezi is just another possibility. Options galore!

      Delete
    2. Hiya Mark,

      Don't have the brief as of yet as havent seen anyone or been in college. I have some screenshots but no hard copy so will work with that for now. thanks

      Hannah.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before, I will consider it though, looks good. Thanks Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PowerPoint is almost certainly going to be the platform of choice for the majority if not all the members of the class, but it's always good to explore other avenues, even if it is to discard them! Cheers.

      Delete
  3. If you have the screenshot of the brief that’s fine, as you’ll have all the details.

    Any questions, just pop a question on here or by e mail.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete