Friday 8 December 2017

Reality Check: Why ban fast food within 400 metres of schools?


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42172579


This is an article about a new strategy in London which recommends fast food outlets should not be allowed to open within 400 metres of schools.


It is interesting to note that a large number of students at this college often say to me that they wouldn't eat in the canteen, but would rather walk to the nearest burger van. I don't think this is anything new necessarily, but I wondered what you thought about this?


Do you think schools and colleges do enough to promote healthy food?


Are children educated enough about the importance of healthy food choices?


This further link identifies the issue of overweight youngsters too - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42250152


As always, your comments count, whatever they may be.


As it is nearly the weekend, we are all allowed some treats aren't we? I have my mum up from Ayr tomorrow, and that can only mean plenty food, gin, vino etc. Oops, this seems to fly in the face of what I have noted above! Have a good one, whatever you are up to and I will see you all next Friday.


Cheers, Mark



5 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Everyone should have there own choices so if they choose they want to go to McDonalds for lunch that should be completely fine its there choice...
    Nom Nom Mark.. Its my sons birthday weekend so we will definitely be having loads of treats ;)
    Cole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the birthday treats. Sounds like good fun!

      Delete
  2. Yes, we all have choices to make in whatever we do. Sometimes we get them wrong and even when we think it’s the right decision it can backfire. I love a wee roll in the morning when I arrive at college after my train trip in from Edinburgh. I know there are better options out there, but sometimes you can’t beat that when you get in! Anyway, this weekend is about having a laugh with my mum in the capital and that won’t mean healthy drinking options! Thanks for your feedback as always. I inadvertently hijacked my own page by mentioning my weekend plans! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think schools and colleges try to inform people of healthier eating and the options available but it always comes down to choice for the individual. I know of some schools that do not allow the children to leave the premises, therefore they can only eat canteen food which is supposed to healthy (not to sure though from what my kids tell me haha) or take their own lunch. There is always the temptation for people to go to burger vans or MacDonald's etc if it is close by and these days I am led to believe that a lot of kids get quite a bit of cash to spend at school on a daily basis so they have many options on what they can buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're right that in some cases some pupils do get quite a bit of extra money, but not everybody of course. I think what we are saying here is that choices are available to students and sometimes a treat isn't necessarily a bag thing within moderation.

    ReplyDelete