Thursday 2 November 2017

Word / Phrase of the year

So what is the phrase that made the top of the list as most used in everyday conversation, Twitter feeds etc.? Fidget spinner? Insta? No, it is fake news which will now appear in dictionaries across the land next year.


Former 'winners' noted below!


2016 - Brexit: Noun meaning "the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union".


2015 - Binge-watch: Verb meaning "to watch a large number of television programmes (especially all the shows from one series) in succession".


2014 - Photobomb: Verb meaning "spoiling a photograph by stepping in front of them as the photograph is taken, often doing something silly such as making a funny face".


2013 - Geek: Countable noun meaning "someone who is skilled with computers, and who seems more interested in them than in people".



4 comments:

  1. Seriously is this really going to happen. This was also my response when he became president as well, now they want to put something he says in the dictionary whatever next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a genuine dislike for 'him', ever since his antics when I lived in Aberdeen. And before anybody asks, this post isn't fake news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time now I have to ask my kids what some of these new sayings mean, they just roll their eyes at me sigh and say "ooh mum your old you don't understand", and here's me thinking im hip and down with the kids and the lingo.😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard this on the radio yesterday and I think to myself whatever next !! Donald Trump the chump has influenced dictionary history. Nothing is sacred in the dictionary now. It seems they will put anything in.

    ReplyDelete