Friday 24 November 2017

Graduate (from 17 years ago) with 2:1 sues Oxford for £1m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-42070712


Wow, this is a quite incredible story, it really is and I don't actually know where to start with it. So I shall leave it to you to make some comment.


What I will say is this. As somebody who has been around a bit, academically speaking of course, it is complete nonsense (in my opinion) to suggest that anything other than getting a First hampers employment choices. That simply isn't true, as a rule. A First can open doors, but that isn't quite the point here and is impossible to measure.


There are a very small percentage of graduands who achieve a First, often the criteria is getting 70% in all assessments in years three and four. That is tough. But achievable.


But it does raise the issue of what is a good degree and what is a bad one? Well for me, there is no such thing as a bad degree, or an HND, HNC and so on.


Any student will try and obtain the best possible award they can get. And sometimes a 2:2 is the best they will ever achieve. Is that a poor level of study? Of course it isn't. It is an Honours degree which demonstrates the learner can evaluate, analyse, write academically, work autonomously, reference, summarise, perform under pressure in exams, manage time effectively, apply theory to practice and many other skills besides.


But this article suggests a lot of interesting twists and turns - "Mr Siddiqui also alleges medical information about him was not submitted to examiners by a tutor". This is vital for any examination board and I have mentioned this to you before in classes. I have had occasion, quite a few times as it goes, to 'talk up' a student’s performance based on extenuating circumstances, which can be plentiful.


I look forward to your thoughts on this article, and I suspect he won't win his case, although we only have limited information at this point.


Have a great weekend whatever you are up to.


Mark





4 comments:

  1. Ok, so the first thing that jumps out at me on the article is that the 2:1 Degree fell short of HIS expectations and mentions that it was a disappointment to him! I feel that Mr Siddiqui may have set his sights too high but I could be wrong? I worked previously for a very prestige recruitment agency and heard many things regarding employers search for specific people but never did I hear that they would prefer a first over anyone else who was equally able to do the job. Jobs are based on experience and yes, education too but employers will take an overall view of a person. I am doubtful that Mr Siddiqui's award will make him unemployable, ok he may not get what he imagines he would want but we all have to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise a lot of very good points there Nicola and crucially it’s about HIS expectations. What if he was really a 2:2 kind of a student and he exceeded expectations! I’ll be keeping an eye on this story for lots of reasons. As a rejoinder to the theme, I always wanted to be the man on the moon as a wee boy. Should I call NASA? They do say aim for the stars and maybe you’ll reach the sky...

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems he is just trying to find a reason as to why he never got the mark HE expected of himself. So because he thought he could do better he's looking for a "cop out" sorry thats what i took from it xxxxx

    ReplyDelete