Friday 13 October 2017

Proposed schedule of work until that time in December which shall not be mentioned!

Hello everybody,


When we return after our well deserved October break, there will be only 9 weeks until the end of the academic year (that nicely avoids the 'C' word!)


Below is how I intend to roll out the classes which will be a mixture of reading analysis practice, discussion, working in small groups and doing two assessments. I feel that if we get these two reading assessments out the way it will mean we (you) will have three out the eight assessments done a few weeks with me before the end of the semester and gives us a good run at work to do in the New Year.


Anybody who has not achieved assessment passes by the end of the first semester will be able to use the catch-up week which is week commencing 22nd January 2018. That will hopefully bring everybody up to speed.


The reading assessments / teaching fits nicely with the listening assessments too and how I will teach you is the formula needed to achieve passes in the assessments.

I have been busy updating teaching and assessment materials for you, but this preparation is not misplaced prep., as you can use any helpnotes I give you for the actual assessments. Both the reading assessments are new for 2017, so hopefully they will work out well.

So, here is how I intend to roll out the next nine weeks. I am a great believer in schedules and sticking to them, so there should be no problems if we follow this recipe for success.

Week Beginning


23/10 - reflecting on the discussion assessment, reading a newspaper article on plagiarism, particularly in Universities, discussion around this important topic and information on how you can answer reading analysis questions. Lots of handouts to keep for you.


30/10 - answering practice questions on plagiarism article in small groups (sample answers at the end after group discussion).


6/11 - practice reading exercise on working in the mental health sector from the perspective of a health professional (sample answers at the end after group discussion).


13/11, 20/11, 27/11 - first reading assessment - this will be on a topic of interest and I will mark what you have done for the following week so the assessment is continuous. 


4/12, 11/12 and 18/12 - second reading assessment - see above.


I have allowed three weeks for each assessment which means that you all have sufficient time to complete the assessment(s). Everybody will receive one to one written and verbal feedback on their work.

One other thing, in addition to the helpnotes I distribute to you, you are also permitted to use a dictionary should you so wish. The answers will be handwritten and done in class with me supervising but your spelling etc. is NOT being assessed here, just your answers.

I hope you will all be able to enjoy your break and I look forward to seeing you all on our return on Friday 27th October.


All the best,


Mark







5 comments:

  1. thanks for giving us the heads up it helps me to not stress so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a stress free approach to learning and teaching and a clear schedule. You should know that by now! Thanks for the comment. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark, at least we know the plan, I like a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have a plan, it's how to get the best results. Without a clear structure, where would we be? In trouble I suspect!

    ReplyDelete